Tutor: Paul Alcock
On this one day workshop Paul will explore ways of depicting beach huts & beach scenes using either Oils or Acrylics.
You will have an opportunity to work from either your own sketches or photos or from a range of images, which he will bring along to the session.
Over the course of the day Paul will cover – setting out your image using lines, picture design and composition – exploring a range of different possible compositions and evaluating which are the strongest, assessing tonal values within your subjects, learning to observe, mix and match colours and relating this to colour theory. Developing your paintings in stages over the course of the day. Reviewing and evaluating your work.
The workshop is suitable for beginners or improvers.
What to bring
- Your usual acrylic or water mixable oil paints
- A canvas or painting board between 10” x 12” and 16” x 20”.
- Your own choice of reference photos or drawings. Paul will also bring along a selection images.
- A sketchbook & pencil or small boards would also be useful to experiment with different techniques
- Brushes – these can include Bristle or Synthetic Acrylic Brushes In a range of shapes and sizes. At least one large brush (at least approx. 25mm) and a small round brush plus a few in-between in different shapes and sizes.
- Pallet – either a flat pallet or if using acrylics a stay wet pallet or your own version of a stay wet pallet such as a flat plastic box with a lid, some kitchen roll and greaseproof paper.
- Pallet Knife
- A portable easel – If you have one (also available to borrow – let us know at time of booking)
- If using acrylics a small water filled atomiser bottle will be useful to keep acrylics paints damp
Note – The Butterfly Studio will supply water pots, drawing boards & aprons.
The day includes: tea, coffee, pastries, lunch and homemade cakes.
All Art & Craft Days workshop prices displayed on this site are inclusive of the £10 discount. This offer excludes Half Day Workshops, Stained Glass Workshops and Rush Weaving Workshops.
Workshop booking form
Bookings are closed for this workshop.